One of my (Kobra) favorite zone blitz defenses in the game is from the 3-4 Over formation. The name of the blitz is called Sting Pinch zone. For this setup, I show how to bring A-gap pressure from the right inside linebacker. What I like about this set up is it’s easy to do, plus I can either rush or drop the defender I am in control to either add a better pass rush or better pass coverage, depending on what I decide to do once the ball is snapped.
The 3-4 Over – Sting Pinch Zone has the right cornerback and left cornerback dropping back into 2 deep coverage. The free safety, left inside linebacker, and strong safety play hook zones. There 6 defenders that pass rush the quarterback. Without making any pre-snap adjustments, the right inside linebacker is the defender that generally gets pressure on the quarterback.
Playbooks Found In:
Quick Set Up:
- Crash the defensive line to the left.
- Take control of the ROLB and hot route him into QB Contain.
- Stay in control of the ROLB before the snap.
- Once the ball is snapped, allow the ROLB to rush towards the outside.
- Once the RILB gets past the line of scrimmage, drop the ROLB back into pass coverage.
Where the Pressure Comes From:
- The pressure is designed to come from the RILB, who shoots through the A-gap between the C and LG.
- For best results, have a fast defensive end lined up at the RILB position.
- 6 defenders drop back in pass coverage.
- 5 defenders pass rush the quarterback.
- You can rush the ROLB if you like. This will keep the QB from rolling out to the left.
- This blitz doesn’t require you having to control the ROLB for the blitz to work. We like to control him to drop him back in pass coverage.