For this Madden Tips breakdown, we take a look at the Big Nickel Bear – Storm Red. We show how we like to get pressure from the either the middle linebacker or from the left inside defensive back.
Play Diagram and Breakdown:
The Big Nickel Bear – Storm Red by default sends six pass rushers after the quarterback, while dropping five defenders back into pass coverage. The right and left cornerbacks drop back into 2 deep coverage. The free safety and both outside linebackers drop into hook zones.
Playbooks Found In:
Quick Set Up:
- Base Align
- Move the right inside defensive back (aligns left of of the left tackle) inside of the right outside linebacker.
- Hot route the right inside defensive back into some type of zone coverage.
- Stay in control of the right inside defensive back before snap, while holding down the RT (R2 for PS4).
- Once the middle linebacker or left outside linebacker gets pass the line of scrimmage, drop the right inside defensive back into pass pass coverage.
Big Nickel Bear – Storm Red setup once all pre-snap adjustments have been made
- The pressure is designed to come from the middle linebacker or the left outside linebacker. There are times when both may get pressure at the same time.
- The right inside defensive back can be hot routed into any type of zone coverage of choice and it won’t effect how the blitz works.
- Six defenders drop back in pass coverage.
- Five defenders pass rush the quarterback.
- The Big Nickel Bear can only be found in the 46 playbook.
- Having a fast middle linebacker and left outside linebacker will make the blitz that more effective.