The Curl Flats is another one of those passing plays that we like to run call against any type of zone coverage as feel that at least one receiver will be open.
The Gun 5WR Trio – Curl Flats has the two outside receivers running curl routes. What we really about their pass routes is they can either a normal curl route or they can take an inside release. Against Cover 4 coverage, they will take an inside release and curl up inside of the zone coverage where we can make the throw to one of theme. If a blitz is called, we can always look to throw the ball to one of the slot receivers running flat routes.
Playbooks Found In:
- Run n Gun
Quick Set Up:
Pass Reads Order:
- SE (X)
- LSL (Y)
- ISL (A)
- RSL (RB)
- SE (B)
- For those that are struggling against zone coverage, this is a great play to call as it’s effective against most zone coverages found in the game.
- If a blitz is called, look to throw to one of the slot receivers running flat routes.
- Against Cover 4 coverages, the outside receivers tend to take and inside release before curling back towards the quarterback.
- If the outside receivers are not open, look to throw the ball inside towards the inside slot receiver, who runs a slant hook.
- When making the throw to the outside receiver or the inside slot receiver, make sure to throw the ball to the opposite side of the closest defender.